About The Purex Brand
More than 90 Years of Invention and Innovation—and Counting
The Purex brand was founded in Los Angeles, California in 1922 and, for more than 90 years, has been known as the laundry brand that consumers trust to provide the most value for the money. Over the years, the company has grown from a single product—liquid chlorine bleach sold in amber pint jars—to the almost two dozen laundry products sold under the Purex brand name today. Moreover, along the way, Purex has been a leader in sustainability and developing eco-friendly products.
Over the years, Purex has introduced innovation after innovation, helping to redefine the laundry products marketplace. Some of these advancements can be viewed in the timeline below.
As part of the global Henkel organization, Purex continues its long tradition of researching and developing products that not only make life easier for you, but that reduce environmental impact. There’s a lot more to come, so stay tuned!
The History of Purex
- Founded by Lionel S. Precourt and son Ray. They began making liquid household bleach out of their 400 sq. ft. garage.
- The brand name 'Purex' was coined and used on a commercial bleach product.
- Purex started production of its first light-duty, dry detergent under the 'Trend' brand.
- Introduction of liquid Purex laundry detergent.
- Purex liquids converted to a new blue plastic bottle.
- Mountain Breeze is launched, the #1 Purex fragrance.
- Purex Liquid Fabric Softeners and Dryer Sheets launched.
- Purex Natural Elements Liquid Detergents launched.
- Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets launched.
- Purex Complete Crystals Softener and Purex Complete with Zout Detergent launched.